Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Greetings from Ol' Miss‏

My mom left the gas on, on ACCIDENT. So now im stuck outside in the freezing snow. Funnnnnn. Anyways I decided to check my email on MY laptop:) And found this new letter from Riss!
XoXo from a very cold Madi Adele

Hey YA'LL!!!!

Well I am in Mississippi as we speak! We are in Clinton getting ready to transfer everyone to their new areas!

I have been assigned to Shreveport Louisiana! I am going to an area assigned Brownlee! :)
I looked at the map last night and guessed I was going there because it's like my name!
Then BAM! This morning I was assigned there!
The missionaries here at the mission home said that the people there are really humble and it's a little bit ghetto.
As they were assigning missionaries to areas last night, they said that they knew without a doubt that's where I needed to go! I have also heard that my new companions (I am going to be in a tri-panionship) are AMAZING and I will get along with them so well! That is really comforting because I am so sad to leave Sister Hartley and my district from the MTC!

We are getting to email home today since we are getting transferred but from now on my p-days will probably be on Monday.

The plane ride and traveling yesterday was SO tiring!!! We left the MTC at 3:00 AM and were up late of course packing. I wouldn't recommend only getting an hour of sleep before a long day of travel. I got to call home and talk to my family for like an hour before our flight took off and try to describe to them everything that has happened so far!
On the plane from Utah to Atlanta I sat next to this really nice woman who is from New Zealand and she is a member of the church. When she found out I was a missionary she bought me some awesome airplane food and we chit-chatted about mission work and the joy it brings!
Once we got to Atlanta and got off the plane we had a 2 hour layover, so we all got some pizza and called home to say one more goodbye.
I felt like everyone was staring at me at the airport.. and realized that now I am wearing the Savior's name on my chest... people are watching everything I do and say. So I am going to stop being a little less weird. ;) A lady walking behind sister Hartley and I made a rude comment about "there go those crazy book of mormons" and it just made me smile!

We got off the plane to Mississippi and the Mission President and his wife and a bunch of missionaries were there waiting to pick us up!
Our mission president is seriously one of the most softspoken, cute, sweet, and humble men I have ever met. I absolutely love him. They keep up a blog of all the missionaries and I am sure there will be a bunch of pictures of me on there soon. :)

We had a great homecooked meal which was so AMAZING compared to the MTC food we have been eating the past 2 weeks! #ihatecafeteriafood

Sister Hartley and I stayed in a member's house last night - Brother and Sister Rust - and Sister Rust were so sweet! I am getting my first taste of southern hospitality! She took a picture of Sister Hartley and I and sent it to our parents to let them know we are safe!

I got out of the shower last night and couldn't see because I didn't have my glasses on, but I saw a quarter on the ground right by my foot. As I reached over to look at it I realized it wasn't a quarter... IT WAS A HUGE BROWN FUZZY HARRY POTTER SPIDER.
I ran and got Sister Hartley and we inspected the situation in the bathroom. I then proceeded to grab the beast with a huge wad of toilet paper and flushed him down the toilet.
Mind you - I did all this in a towel. #reallifehero

As we were driving past all the houses yesterday I noticed A LOT of the houses have porches. I made this comment, and Sister Rust said
"We don't put away our crazy people... we just set them on the front porch in rocking chairs."
It made me laugh so hard!

IT IS SO BEAUTIFUL HERE.
#godscountry

Everything is greener than green, and there are some weird plants I have never seen before.
The roads here are terrible!!!! Apparently they are made of Yazoo clay... and it shrinks and expands and the result is that you feel like you are riding the white roller coaster at Lagoon.

I am so excited to get to work and start doing what I came here to do!
We were given some advice yesterday and our mission president said it's so importand to take your mission one day at a time.
If you don't... you will go crazy!
We were also told that a mission will the best thing of your life and you will see miracles happen every single day. Mission work brings true joy to you and is one of the funnest things you will ever do.

I can't wait to tell ya'll about all the crazy people I am going to meet!
So for now, I am signing out of Mississippi and headed off to Louisanna!

I think I already have an accent......
Much Love, Sister Brown

Scripture of the week: Luke 23:43     "Today thou shalt be with me in paradise"

Awkward moment of the week:
(Elder Jamal Odies is a Hatian from Boston. He is a crazy person!)
Elder Odies: "Once I saw a turkey outside me window."
Sister Brown: "That's weird.... 
Elder Odies: "And once I had a racoon. We named it Jofifa."

Jo-fi-fa. Probably the weirdest name I have ever heard!

P.s. Sorry for no pictures this week - The computer I am on doesn't have a camera port! I will send lots next week!
P.p.s. for anyone that wants to follow Sister Hartley's blog, it is: sisterkatehartley.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment