Saturday, March 8, 2014

Miracle Marathon (round 2)

As promised... here is the story of the Miracle of Dental Work.
*VIEWERS DISCRETION ADVISED*

About a month ago... I got a tooth ache. This is really frustrating because I have had to have a lot of dental work done this past year!!!! I knew i wouldn't be able to be able to really go to the dentist on my mission. So... I get this tooth ache and don't know what to do. I struggle with it for a while but then can't take it anymore! So Sister Huston (in our ward) offers to take me to the dentist.
We go to the dentist and turns out one of the teeth I got fixed before I left on my mission had decayed again. And.... i had 12 more cavities. A bunch of my metal fillings had decay around them and I had a couple from not flossing very good.

Now I don't need lectures on taking care of my teeth.... I didn't do the best job of flossing in college... but now a days I brush and floss 3 times a day. I even carry floss around in my purse!!!!
So there I sit in the dentist's chair... and he said if we don't take care of the cavities... they would turn into a bunch of root canals.
I ask "how long could I put it off...?" Because my insurance won't cover my out of network. So was hoping I could wait 14 more months until I get home to fix them.
But he said "at best 6 months."
I started to cry... and was really overwhelmed. I told the dentist and my dental hygienist I would have to think about what I was going to do and I would let them know.
So afterwards... I get back from my appointment and get down on my knees. I plead with my father in heaven to give me some guidance for what my next step should be.
The next day I get a call from my mission president - President McDonough - saying that someone had from the dentist's office had called my parents and asked if they could pay for the dental work I needed done.
Someone anonymously wanted to pay for $2,000 worth of dental work.
What a miracle.



So they set me up 2 appointments to fix 12 of my teeth. I got the right side done (7 teeth) last week and am getting my left side done tomorrow. Please pray for me! You all know about my dental phobia. I did REALLY well for the first appointment though..... they had to give me 6 numbing shots. I took my iPod and listen to a book on CD during the appointment and that helped a lot because my mind couldn't focus on all the drilling noises!
Here is a picture of me and my Sweet dental hygienist - Miss Kenna. She has helped me through all the appointments I have been to and held my hand when I needed someone!
Last week during the 1st procedure I could tell something was on her mind, and I asked how she was doing. She ended up saying that she has had a really hard and sleepless week and that her dad was probably going to pass on soon. She told me she was going to leave her phone on during my appointment, so in case he did... she would be notified and could go home.

About halfway through.... Miss Kenna got the phone call that her Father had passed into the next life. She started to cry and I sat up and we just hugged for a few minutes before she had to go. What a tender moment I was able to share with a stranger. She strengthened my testimony with her faith in the next life. She knew her father needed to go... but sometimes it is harder on those of us here left on earth without them.

I am so grateful that Christ - broke the bands of death... so that we can be with our families for eternity. That this earth life is just a small piece of forever. I am grateful for a savior that cleansed us from our sin - so that we have the chance to live with God again! What joy this sentence gives! I KNOW that my redeemer lives!

After my appointment we went to an Investigator's house. She is one of my favorite people I have met on my mission! Her name is Bridget and she just had twins - they are 6 months old. Bridget feeds us lunch a lot and in return we help her come closer to the Savoir and we try to help her out a little! (folding laundry, singing to her babies, or doing her dishes.) She laughed at my numb face.... I was numb to my ear!


Well this week we also had Zone Conference and were able to see President and Sister McDonough. We had a great conference and learned so much! I always love being with the other missionaries!





Our friend Miss Donna also taught us how to make a wreath! EVERYONE in the south has one of these on their door.....

And we said goodbye to Elder and Sister Simpson! :( Their mission was up! And sadly... we won't be able to get a replacement. There is a shortage of senior couples in the mission field... so if you are reading this and want to go on a senior mission.... THE WORLD NEEDS MORE OF YOU! We have 3 senior couples in our mission and they are all leaving this spring! What will we do without them?! The Lord will provide. :)


Thank you all for your support. I miss home and family some days - but there is not one day that I want to "go home."
What a joy it is each day to wake up in the morning and get to go to work with the Lord. It truly is AMAZING.
I love mail. It's what keeps me going!
If you want to send me a letter - my address is:
Sister Marissa Jenell Brown
Mississippi Jackson Mission
175 Burnham Rd
Brandon, MS
39042

Thank you for your unwavering support. I love you.
Love,
 Sister Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment